Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Young and The Seniors


The Young and the seniors



 

I am writing these articles, so that the young generation will someday realize that they too will be seniors, Elderlies, (a nice word for old).

Not all seniors go senile and act like children. Every day I see, and read people when they see an old person’s picture, a mother, a grandmother, a great-grandmother, a father, a grandfather, old aunt or uncle. Then I see people say awww, how sweet, especially Latinos say que chulita or chulitoo (meaning how cute. That, to me sounds like a compliment for a dress or article, as traje chulo (cute dress).

Senior are not cute, I doubt if any adult likes to be called cute!

This is patronizing B.S that ought to be outlawed in a world of civility.

Living accommodations for seniors insist upon referring to it as ‘ELDER CARE”. Every time I see that term I hate it. It is so demeaning as if those of us who are over 65 are frail and needy. Why not call us senior citizens? Just don’t say “elderly”.

I’m 71. Why do you need to call me anything? I am me! And pleeeease, don’t call me Cute. Ok, I was a baby-boomer. Mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually, I’m the best I’ve ever been. I had a bad fall many years ago, and that affected me physically, but I was able to outrun many. I don’t feel like a senior citizen. Call on me. Don’t give me names. Don’t patronize me.

I refer to myself and anyone over 65 as a senior. (Señora.). I’ve known people who are still young who are sourpusses, sticks in the mud, so it’s a mistake to judge a person by their age. I’m a woman who has had a busy, interesting life and who still has good manners a Published Author, a Psychic, My memories of when I was two years old are still there. Many clerks, workers in offices treat senior like children and tell them to be good. I want so much to give them a fat lip! No one of any age should be put down.

I’ve got a few words of advice for those who do not understand older people.

I read this in an article and I am sharing it. “I want you to do this for your education and growth. You must stand beside some older person for this exercise. Now, bend your head and look down and both sets of feet. Tell me, where are you standing? Give up? Okay, I’ll tell you. You are standing next to an elderly person who is only a few steps ahead of you on the very same path from Birth right into Eternity. Babies, toddlers, children, young adults, middle-ages, the elderly all walk the same path every day. Always have, always will. We’re all headed for the same EXIT–and it’s the only game in town. And if you’re very lucky you, too, will reach the place where the elderly now call their territory (they don’t envy you, they were already in that play). If you poke fun at them you are literally poking fun at your future. It’s never a bad stroke of luck to grow old, it’s a privilege. So we lucky elderlies need to remember that the young who poke fun and laugh, well, the joke’s on them, isn’t it? (Smile)

If you are a functioning human being, you should be respected. That’s what is wrong with our society…when we are all human beings trying to make the most of this life. Why can’t we all be referred to as a person?

Even if some are sick and senile, they have feelings too.

I laugh when I see the younger generation treat me like a child, try and teach me what I knew before they were born. Many times I keep quiet, and then when time passes, I surprise them. All the time that they have been patronizing me, I have been patronizing them.

We seniors, or the Elderly, are the people who taught the young what the world is all about, and even at our age, we continue to teach them. Remember I am

Chulita and cute, but don’t call me that, I feel being disrespected and treated like a child. I have not yet reached that state thank God. Even if I do give me the respect that I have earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment